Monday, September 12, 2011

Friend Defined

Hello blogland,
Praise God for this beautiful day - Thanks Lord!!  After staying up pretty late blogging last night I woke up for church this morning -  and amazingly I had a great amount of energy. I wasn't dragging my feet or super tired.  That in itself is a blessing I believe.  I knew that one of the Sunday school classes might be short a teacher/helper so I went and volunteered and I was filled with joy just helping out.  Kids are so awesome.  They do actions to songs with no concern that they might look ridiculous and they sing whether they can or not...they just do!  Oh... don't you worry I did the actions too.  It was freeing.

Then I went out for lunch with my old youth leader Janet, her daughter Mel and our youth friend Ben.  What a riot!!  These three people make me laugh so much.  Then in the next moment we can have a totally serious conversation.  I cherish the moments I spend with them. 

Tonight I had a "Life Group Leader's Meeting" to go to and I am so glad that I did.  It was very encouraging and educational.  We watched a portion of a message from John Orteberg about small groups.  He talked about being friends with the people in your group and how it's important to be open and try to create friendships of servanthood.  So I understood that to mean that you care for your friend not for any reason other than to be a friend.  Not to get anything out of it.  That wouldn't be friendship.  He also outlined the difference between being a friend and being friendly.  As a life group leader I hope that I can encourage my group not to just be friendly...but to be real friends.  What a mission for life. 

By definition a friend is "a person attached to another by feelings of affection or personal regard. A person who gives assitance."

I found a great quote about being a friend....

"A friend is one who strengthens you with prayers, blesses you with love and encourages you with hope." - Anonymous

Love it! 

Thanks for stopping by,

No comments: